Before leaving New Zealand we had planned a weeks stay at Villefranche sur Mer on the coast just west of Nice. It was an ideal place to drop off our Peugeot lease car and collect our Renault lease car and to take a 4 day break from our holiday.
A holiday from our holiday if you will.
We stayed at our old favourite Hotel Welcome, right on the water, and were joined by Mike, Charmanie and James who had arrived in Nice a few days before us. This break was a chance to explore Villefranche a little more, sample some of the local cuisine, spend some time at the beach and soak up the atmosphere of the French Rivieria in peak season.
In the week we did all this. What else did we discover?
1) Much like other places some food is good and some isn’t
2) Meals tend to be less expensive and better quality further from the waterfront
3) The exception is La Mere Germaine right on the waterfront which we tried. Great food since 1938
3) Sitting on a beach is therapeutic no matter where you are in the world
4) The majority of French women have an urge to go topless on beaches. Some really, really shouldn’t
5) French service is more surly than Italian service but does warm up if you become a repeat customer
6) The girls are welcome everywhere we are which is great
7) Chateau Eza is always a great place for a drink – which costs about the same as a meal anywhere else.